Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Theresa Brown-Mythology day 1

"Ion and Creusa had other things on their minds now: they thought of things divine, of how one way or another they always come too late, 'yet are not powerless in their conclusion [telos]'"  -The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony

Mythology day 1, I guess as notetaker I'm supposed to put my notes here for everyone else to read. I was just a tiny bit late for class, but that doesn't seem to have made much of a difference. We went over much of the syllabus (which I assume everyone has). We found our definition of Mythology, which is on page 383 of The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony. and goes something like this "the precedent behind any action, an invisible, ever-present lining". We spoke of how we as people respect originality, but myth wants to take us back to the beginning. There was also the disscusion of the meaning of myth through the root word of mytos which means story. I was also requested to make note that Kayley (forgive me if I spelled that wrong), is our technitian, and Darryl (again with the spelling) is our time keeper. Parker was kind enough to read us a passage out of The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony. Courtney is the other notetaker. I also have a note about the fact that our first assignment is to find a creation story we can retell to the class. Which is what I intend to do next.
One of my first conclusions about The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony is that there is going to be a lot of unnecessary sex in it. However, the Greeks (and Romans) were much more open about the human body than we are today, so it isn't really suprising. I may still not like it, it depends on how in-depth we go with those scenes, and how often they come about. I have also started reading The Magus. I only read the first chapter so far, and not much has happened. Though it is somewhat like a bad horror flick right now where my mind is screaming at the guy not to go to Greece. I know he will because otherwise we'd have no story. Doing all of this pretty much means I'm a sucker for punishment, whatever. Mainly I'll put my notes up here for all of you to see. At least it means that all of you can read and understand them. I may be going out of the blog perview here a bit for this class, but my handwritting does really suck, and part of my notes tend to end up in German, so you get the legible, and completely English version.

No comments:

Post a Comment