Friday, October 7, 2011

The Magus: p.195

Normally I'm a very fast reader, but this book seems to be dragging in my opinion. It hasn't quite dragged me into it yet, but I can see the potential there. I was just slightly offended in fact by the line that Sherlock Holmes would have been baffled by Lily's palm. I like that Nickolas would try to "read" her palm that way. Holmes, however, didn't read palms, but the person in general. I don't know what Holmes would have deduced from Lily, but he would definantly have learned more than Nickolas does. I'm only going off about this because I'm a Sherlock Holmes fan. I've been trying that style with the books, and it actually works well for Calasso. That's more because with Calasso you need to connect the threads to make sense of the reading. Holmes' method to solving crimes is in fact connecting the effect to the cause by creating the chain of events from the thread of the clues that he finds.  Here's a random Holmes picture from The Sign of Four, from 1987 with Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes. The scene is set in either a library, or the records of The London Times which was mentioned in the case presented him in the movie based off the second novel by the same name.
There's my rant about The Magus. I may have another at the end, whenever I get to it.
Sorry the picture is a little blurry, I used the Microsoft snipping tool while watching this movie on YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment